Tyus Baptist Church was originally formed as Friendship Baptist in Heard County in 1901. Before a building was built, the church moved to the Tyus Community. In fact, a few members are buried on the original piece of land in Heard County.
Tyus finally landed where it is today in 1929 and the existing sanctuary was built. Though renovations occurred throughout the years, the greatest of which was in the 1970's, the original sanctuary has remained. In fact, the original hardwoods have been uncovered as well as the steeple bell which now serves as our logo.
The last 20 years has brought significant change to the space we have today. In 2002 a fellowship hall was constructed. This building was connected to the existing structure, providing extra rooms for Sunday Morning Bible Study. This new addition has proved a valuable addition to the Tyus Community. It currently serves as a voting precinct and serves as the home of the annual BBQ event. The dedication plaque on the front appropriately reads, "Dedicated to the honor and glory of God."
In 2014 Tyus built a full size gym complete with concession stand, stage, and additional rooms on the outside. Outside of hosting The Crew Student Ministry, Sunday Bible Study space, office space, and Children's Church room, the FLC provides space and opportunities for many events throughout the year.
We are thankful for the men and women who not only began what we know as Tyus Baptist Church, we are thankful for all those who have remained steadfast, preserving all we know of this beautiful church today while also pressing forward to continue to make Tyus Baptist a place you can belong. God has been faithful, we look forward to his hand remaining on Tyus.